Friday, March 9, 2007

First Bloom of Spring!

Here it is folks! My first bloom of Spring! Okay, so it isn't a garden plant, it's an Amaryllis.
I am completely excited about this one though. I have carried this bulb around for 8 years and it never bloomed again after the first time. I don't make effort to force the blooms the way you are supposed to do and always enjoyed the foliage on its own, so it was never an issue. Much to my delight, it has put off a pup (another bulb) and obviously decided to celebrate the event with three magnificent blooms.

Be sure to come back by towards the end of March, when I will be posting some photos of the progress on the changes in our gardens. It is coming along, but will require most of my attention for a few days and lots of labor! So, until then...

Best planting days for March are:

Root crops: 8th, 9th, 13th, 14th and 17th
Above ground crops: 18th, 21st, 22nd, 25th, 26th and 27th
Flowers & Herbs: 25th, 26th and 27th
Transplanting: 18th, 21st and 22nd

No comments: